New study showed that Lyrica appears to help with restless leg syndrome without having to increase the dose compared to Mirapex where dose increase is needed overtime.
The problems with this study are:
1. Many patients can not afford Lyrica.
2. Mirapex is generic and affordable.
3. Placebo( sugar pill) group actually did well. So much for patient selection!
4. They authors only looked at suicidal ideation here while Lyrica in my experience causes a lot more mood changed ranging from agitation, anxiety, and depression than Mirapex. This is in fact my first warning to patients telling them to get off Lyrica if the see any changes in their mood.
5. This is another industry sponsored study to promote Lyrica. The drugs that should have been included here were Requip and gabapentine. But then again it these are generic and these may have turned out lot better than Lyrica.