Crucial points related to diabetes include:
– The best care for diabetes is usually provided by a diabetic specialist (endocrinologist).
– The best way to avoid complications of diabetes to have a tight control of the blood sugar.
– If you have burning in your feet from your diabetes, you most likely are having similar damage also occurring in your kidneys and your eyes. Again to avoid complications, you need to keep a very good control of your blood sugar levels.
– Hgb A1C can give you a very good idea of how well you have been controlling your sugar over the last 120 days.
– With diabetes you should avoid Non-steroidal arthritis medications either by prescriptions or over the counter such as advil, motrin, aleve as these can cause damage to your kidneys over extended period of time.
– If you have high blood pressure along with diabetes or if there is a drop in your eGFR ( test of kidney function) at any time, you should also see a nephrologist as to make sure your current treatment is adequate and everything that can be done to protect your kidneys are being done.
– Without life style modification such as weight loss, smoking cessation, and exercise control of diabetes will be difficult.